Blackeyed Peas Curry

image

This was lunch today! 🙂 very satisfied…

I really like the texture of cooked Blackeyed Peas, when you bite into them they are creamy and soft. They work very well in this simple recipe that took 25 minutes from start to finish.

These are similar to chickpeas and will need to be soaked overnight and cooked post the soak. You could use canned ones as well, they will work just fine. If canned, they are already cooked through so all you need to do is add them in towards the end.

Here is suggestion:  if you cook beans regularly or would like to but put off by how long they take, invest in an Indian pressure cooker as they really speed your lentil & beans cook time! They come in different sizes to suit your cooking needs. If you already own one, you know what I’m talking about!!

Cook Time: 25 Mins                                                Prep Time: 10 mins

Ingredients:

  • 250 Grams of Blackeyed Peas if raw, else 2 cans
  • 2 table spoons of grated ginger
  • 2 green chilies
  • 2 red onions
  • 2 large tomatoes
  • 1 teaspoon garam masala (available at your local South Asian store)
  • salt according to taste
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • a handful of fresh coriander leaves
  • cooking oil – I used sesame seed oil, you could use coconut oil as well

Start by cooking your soaked blackeyed peas if you are using raw, if not skip to the next step of prepping the rest of your ingredients

While pressure cooking the beans I normally do my prep simultaneously, this saves me a lot of time.

Roughly chop the tomatoes, onions, green chills and grate the ginger, then to a hot wok/ sauce pan with oil, on medium heat add the cumin and wait for it to sizzle then put in the ginger, chilies & onions

Sprinkle a pinch of salt at this stage and allow the onions to sweat and turn translucent for about 2-3 mins then add in the tomatoes and stir in the garam masala. Close cook for the next  5-6 mins or until the tomatoes are cooked through and falling apart

Now add in 80% of the blackeyed peas along with water they are cooked in and using a potato masher mash the remaining 20% of them and add in – cook for another 5-8 mins

Finally season with salt & finish off with fresh coriander leaves!

This goes very well with rice or chapatis or even on their own if you are in the mood for something light as the beans can be very filling.

Tip: serve with a light squeeze of fresh lime! 🙂

If you enjoyed reading this post, please follow my blog and share!

2 Comments Add yours

  1. Yummy recipe, must try this soon Lan curiostraveller.com

    Like

    1. Thank you Lan! Pls let me know how it goes:)

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s